The Bismarck tower is located south of the Ballenstedter Ortsteil Opperode on the Stahlsberg (270 m above sea level).
The mayor of Ballenstedt, on October 18, 1913, encouraged the construction of this Bismarck tower at the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Leipzig. On November 2, 1913, the location was determined and the "Working Committee on the Construction of a Bismarck Memorial on the Stahlsberge near Ballenstedt" chaired by District Director Dr. Ing. Knorr founded. In addition, the Düsseldorf Professor Wilhelm Kreis was chosen as the architect of the Bismarck tower, since already several award-winning towers, e.g. developed the draft "Götterdämmerung". He designed the tower as a lookout tower with fire bowl.
The solemn laying of the foundation stone took place on June 14, 1914, shortly before the outbreak of the First World War. Due to the war, the construction could not be completed and since no further work was carried out until 1929, the tower threatened to decay.
On July 12, 1929, a bill from district councilor Pietscher was taken up by Bill Höhne, chairman of the Harzclub branch association Ballenstedt, who had also been a member of the working committee 15 years earlier. This had suggested that the resin club branch club completes the lookout tower and makes it accessible to the general public. The original design was made by the site manager, the government and building officer Honestly modified and simplified, so that the tower on May 20, 1931 could be inaugurated.
After the Second World War and in the GDR era, the tower was abandoned to decay and had to be closed due to damage in the 1960s.
After the political change, the tower was renovated in 1994/1995 with state resources and the viewing platform is accessible via an internal staircase.
August 26, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!