The mausoleum is a Neo-Gothic burial ground of the Counts of Asseburg-Falkenstein and is located on the outskirts of Meisdorf in the immediate vicinity of the castle.In the 18th century, Achatz Ferdinand von der Asseburg owned both Meisdorf Castle and the nearby Falkenstein Castle, and had the mausoleum, built in the Baroque style of his time, built from raw pieces of rock.In the 19th century, Count Ludwig August von der Asseburg (1796-1869), head of the Prussian hunting department, completely rebuilt the castle and put on both sides to Ballenstedt and Harzgerode Chausseen. A large park and lush meadows surrounded the castle in its day, with a deciduous forest leading through it to the mausoleum.He also renovated the dilapidated Falkenstein Castle, as Hofjägermeister - as well as his successor, Count Ludwig II - numerous court hunts aligned, where in addition to crowned heads and many other well-known personalities participated.
August 26, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!