Hebden Suspension Bridge was built built by local blacksmith William Bell and opened in September, 1885. The bridge rocks a little as you walk over it, and is quite narrow, resulting in a fun crossing of the River Wharfe.
October 25, 2019
In 1884, following the drowning of a local man while trying to cross the stepping stones on the River Wharfe below Hebden, a committee was formed with the intention of building a footbridge. A great storm the previous year had also destroyed Burnsall Bridge down stream causing the villagers great problems. The new bridge was designed as a suspension bridge and was built by the village blacksmith, William Bell. 262 yards of redundant steel rope was bought for it from the Hebden Moor Mining Company. Funding for the bridge was raised through public subscription and a grand opening was held in 1885 with a brass band and a public tea. The bridge now carries a popular public footpath and was recently refurbished by the National Park Authority. Source: Joy, David (2002) Hebden. The History of a Dales Township. Hebden: Hebden History Group
June 16, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!