The mountain castle was first mentioned in 1160 in a document. In 1298 the castle was destroyed by the counts of Nassau and Solmser, as well as the castle Lichtenstein, which was not rebuilt.
After the castle Greifenstein had fallen under various owners until 1676, it was expanded by Count Wilhelm Moritz of Solms-Greifenstein to a baroque castle. After the resettlement of the count to Braunfels 1693 the plant fell into ruin.
In 1969, the castle ruin was donated to the newly founded Greifenstein-Verein, which still takes care of the preservation of the publicly accessible facility in which a restaurant is integrated. The castle is a cultural monument due to the Hessian monument protection law. Its restoration was also funded by the Federal Republic of Germany since 1995, since it was classified as a monument of national importance.
(Source: Wikipedia; de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Greifenstein_(Greifenstein))
The castle also houses a restaurant and a bell museum.
March 6, 2016
The castle can be seen from afar, is absulut worth seeing. Here are some data:
The Höhenburg lies on a mountain in the Dillwesterwald and offers a good view over the Dilltal. At 441 meters above sea level, it is the highest castle of the Lahn-Dill-Kreis. The castle is a landmark visible from afar; at the Federal Highway 45 have signs on them.
15 Mar to 31 May Tuesday to Sunday: 10 am to 6 pm (including public holidays)
Children from 6 to 16 years:
Groups, from 10 persons:
€ 3.00 per person
April 8, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!