The prayer house in the lower Muttental is the last of its kind in the Ruhr area. In the early Ruhr mining they were widespread and fulfilled several functions: as a place of prayer before and after the shift, but also a presence control, because it was determined who at the beginning of the shift imported and whether after the end of the shift all safely returned.
This prayer house is a late one of its kind and was built in 1830 under the direction of the Bergamt Dortmund. The construction costs of 564 Reichstalern and 15 silver groschen for the building, which was built from rubble, were shared by the nearby Morgenstern, Louisenglück, Turteltaube Nord and Süd mines. Later, the two coal mines Österbank and Aufgottgewagt were added, each with 62 Reichstalers. After seven years, the prayer house was closed again in 1837, because the mines involved stopped their operation in the vicinity or completely closed. The existing inventory was auctioned and the proceeds of 145 Reichstalern disbursed in equal shares to the mines involved.
March 20, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!