In 1813, an optical telegraph line was used for a longer distance in regular operation for the first time in Germany. It is the line between Mainz and Metz that belonged to the telegraph network of the French Empire. The fact that such a telegraph line was in operation at the time is largely unknown to the population.
In order to commemorate this important stage in the history of communication, signal towers were reconstructed in several places along the telegraph line. The reconstruction at the Windhäuser Hof in Stadecken-Elsheim is part of this system of information and reconstructions along the historic route between Mainz and Metz. Source: rheinhessen.de
March 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.