A bridge has been on this spot for centuries, but the current name dates from 1972. The bridge is named after Walter Süskind, who, together with Felix Halverstad, Lau Mazirel and Piet Meerburg, allowed Jews and Jewish children to escape from the Hollandsche Schouwburg during the Nazi regime and the nursery opposite. All four have a bridge named after them.
August 9, 2021
There has been a bridge here for centuries. A bridge can already be seen in the city plan from 1662 by the city architect Daniël Stalpaert, but there are hardly any buildings south of the nearby Blauwbrug. The canal is still called Heere Graft. When Frederik de Wit drew up his map in 1688, some properties were built on (mainly on the Weesperstraat), but on the Amstel there was actually only Amstelhof (the building of the Hermitage). Gerrit de Broen drew a bridge with three passages on his map around 1785, which stands on two yokes; the Hermitage building was then used as the "Diaconie Oude Vrouwenhuys". The more recent history of the bridge begins around 1874. Due to a change in the shipping routes in the city, which was made possible by the completion of the Oranjesluizen, a wooden drawbridge is no longer sufficient here. It was then replaced by an iron double bascule bridge. Nevertheless, the traps had to be pulled up with an iron chain. This bridge lasted almost fifty years, in 1922 it was replaced by an iron drawbridge. The basic design was by Wichert Arend de Graaf, but his design of such bridges had evolved over the years.
June 17, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!