The theft tower, which is now 18 m high, probably originated with the walling of the “hospital district”, which was not previously protected by fortifications, after 1250. With the village mill tower, it is the only round tower of the old town fortification and still largely has the original Romanesque structure. The walls are 1.80 m thick. The basement contains a 5.50 m high and 2.05 m wide, windowless dungeon, which is only accessible through a so-called "fear hole" in the final vault. This is followed by two floors with a wooden ceiling drawn in between; access was from the rampart of the city wall. The cantilevered third floor is Gothic; it shows four key cards with niches and walled-in wooden supports for the "hook rifles" (large-caliber rifles). Due to its massive stone construction, the tower survived the big city fire of 1728.It got its name because thieves were occasionally locked up there. This was normally not a prison sentence, but a kind of "pre-trial detention" pending the conclusion of the procedure. As a rule, no or only short prison terms were imposed in early modern criminal justice. On the other hand, honorary punishments (e.g. pillory standing) and body punishments (beatings, mutilations up to execution) and country references were common. (after: Krüger: city fortifications).more: haeuserlexikon.de/haeuserlexikon/gebaeudeverzeichnis/?Detail=690
July 24, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.