It can be documented that the post office in Mühlhausen was housed in 1802 in the "Zellaschen Klosterhof" in the Holzstraße 1 / corner Regensgasse. The house was built in 1660 and was bought by the postmaster Ludwig Gottfried Arends the monastery Zella. The post office was supposed to have been permanently housed there before. On August 5, 1802, the free imperial city of Mühlhausen became the property of the kingdom of Prussia. The Prussian state demanded that on May 1, 1803, all Thurn and Taxische Postanstalten be dissolved. The new post office, the "Royal Post Office", was housed in the building at the Marienkirche 6 / corner Holzstraße from 1802 to 1806. It was equipped with the Prussian coat of arms and was provided by a 1-man guard with sign house. From 1806 to 1814 the post office used the building at the Marienkirche 5 / corner Regensgasse.
Source and further information: hainichland.de/2010/05/31/das-postwesen-in-muhlhausen-teil-3
August 28, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!