The Georgenkirche in Waren an der Müritz is one of the oldest buildings in the city and stands in the middle of the historic old town of Waren. It was built in the 14th century and rebuilt and redesigned several times over the centuries. The previous building, probably a wooden church, is mentioned for the first time in a document from 1237. The 14th century church was a three-aisled basilica, the nave with four bays, the vault supported by mighty pillars, a building of the brick Gothic. The mighty west tower was completed in 1414. This part of the city goes back to the founding of merchants and craftsmen. The Georgenkirche was "their" church, while the nearby Marienkirche was built as a castle church.
March 26, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!