The St. Mang Square (formerly Kirchhof) is a large open space south of the parish church of St. Mang. In addition to the Town Hall Square, it is the most spacious square within the Old Town, and the southern patrician houses are sometimes among the largest and most magnificent in the city. The house fronts of the rectangular square south of the church result in spite of different construction times a closed structure.
The Erasmus Chapel was a built in the 13th century, at times as a double chapel furnished Catholic cemetery chapel. It stood until its demolition in 1857 next to the since the 16th century by the Reformed community used St. Mang Church in Kempten. The basement of the chapel was dedicated to the Archangel Michael, the basement as a former ossuary to St. Erasmus.
On the St. Mang Square about 500 grave sites of a former cemetery were unearthed during archaeological investigations in the years 2003 and 2008 to 2010. The archaeologists were able to interpret and explain connections of urban settlement in the early period. The surviving parts of the Bodendenkmals were opened to the public in 2010 and have since been considered landmarks. In this showroom, the history of sacred architecture and the city in a multimedia presentation will be explained.
The St. Mang Fountain (or Mango Fountain) is a canopy-covered fountain built by sculptor Georg Wrba in 1905 on St. Mang Square near the St. Mang Church in Kempten. The Art Nouveau fountain with its life-size bronze sculptures is a listed building.Source: Wikipedia
June 10, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.