Bike Touring Highlight
The lighthouse, built from 1922 and subsequently destroyed by the Germans in 1944, served as an example for the current building. The lens system of the previous tower, preserved in Paris, was mounted in the new construction. Originally the tower was lit by a gas lamp. The lens system was set in motion by a decreasing weight that had to be picked up manually each time. The tower was later fitted with an electric light installation. An electric motor was also installed that rotated the optical system. The gas lamp and weight system remained for a while as a back-up. The tower was manned from 1946 until the automation in 1963. The lighthouse keeper lived with his family in a detached house with an annex at the lighthouse from December 1, 1948 to October 1, 1963. He was not only responsible for the proper functioning of the tower, but also operated the foghorn and harbor light at the far end of the eastern pier.
August 13, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.