On July 30, 1895, the city council decided to build a waterworks and the associated dam.
Professor Otto Intze from the Technical University of Aachen was commissioned with the planning and subsequent implementation. His investigations showed that the most favorable area for a dam was the Saalbach valley with its wealth of sources.
At the meeting of the city council on April 14, 1897, Intze's proposals were accepted and the construction of the dam was decided. Almost a year later, the necessary land could be acquired and construction of the dam began.
A quarry stone wall was erected, which was built according to the "Intze principle". This principle consisted of creating a wedge-shaped, compacted earthfill on the water side at the foot of the wall, which reached just half the height of the wall. In this way the pressure of the water on the wall could be reduced quite considerably, which enabled a lighter construction method
Pump-operated pumping station and on the upper Kurfürstenstrasse, the highest point in Ronsdorf, the water tower. From here the water was fed into the Ronsdorf supply network.
The dam was inaugurated on November 11, 1899. It had a storage height of around 19 meters and a capacity of 300,000 cubic meters.
Source and more: ronsdorfer-buergerverein.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2016.08Talsperre.pdf
September 11, 2021
History and usage
"... The Ronsdorf dam was built in 1898/99 and was the sixth dam built in Germany at the time. Today the gravity dam designed by Professor Otto Intze from Aachen is a listed building.
The dam dams the Saalbach and served as a drinking water reservoir for the city of Ronsdorf until the 1950s. When it was no longer necessary to use it as a drinking water reservoir and there were structural defects, the water level had to be halved to 9.64 m. Due to problems with the tightness and the slides for the control, a congestion restriction was set to 6 m in 1994.
Since the city of Wuppertal was unable to make a financial investment at that time, citizens of Ronsdorf founded the Ronsdorfer Talsperre e. V., who subsequently collected money for repairs and was committed to maintaining the dam.
In 1998 talks began between the friends' association, the city of Wuppertal and the Wupperverband, which dealt with water management and the associated rehabilitation of the dam.
On April 28, 1999, the Wupperverband finally took over the Ronsdorf dam from the city of Wuppertal ... "
May 17, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!