The view from the landmarked Elisenturm is just as good and wide as from the neighboring Bismarck tower: the western districts with the Elberfeld city center, in the south the Lichtscheider water tower, the densely populated Barmen to Hatzfeld in the north. The "Porta Wupperana", the valley between Nützenberg and Kiesberg / Königshöhe, is particularly clearly visible. The Park Hardt is located on the "Garden of the Garden Art" and is a paradise for those seeking relaxation, who do not want to travel far.
August 8, 2017
The Elisenturm is a 21 meter high observation tower in Wuppertal in a park on the Hardt ridge, north of the Wupper.
The tower was named in honor of Elisabeth Ludovika of Bavaria, known as Elise, the wife of Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia. The textile manufacturer and councilor Engelbert Eller founded a country estate with a villa, orangery and company building on Hardt in 1820. In 1838 he built the tower as an observatory on the foundation of an old windmill from 1812. From around 1850 it was open to the public as a lookout tower. The widow of Ellers bequeathed the property to the German Red Cross, which transferred it to the city of Wuppertal in 1907. The park surrounding the tower became part of the Botanical Garden founded in 1890 in 1910. After the Second World War, the Elisenturm was again used as an observatory by the adult education center, but it became increasingly dilapidated.
After a thorough renovation in the 1960s, the tower is now accessible on guided tours. The domed hall in it serves as an exhibition room and wedding hall.
June 17, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!