Hessenthal in the eponymous district of Mespelbrunn is a Marien pilgrimage church in the Spessart. It is the burial place of the family Echter von Mespelbrunn and contains a body of Christ identified as the early work of Tilman Riemenschneider.
In building history and style there are parallels to the pilgrimage church Maria to the rough wind in Alzenau-Kälberau (short info from Wikipedia). To enumerate all information on the origin and equipment, would be tedious, if not impossible. Wiki helps here: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallfahrtskirche_Hessenthal
Pilgrimages take place in Hessenthal five times a year: Easter, Pentecost, Assumption (August 15), The Nativity (September 8) and The Sacrifice of the Virgin (November 21), each with a lights procession the night before.
April 15, 2018
In the district of Hessenthal (place Mespelbrunn) there is a pilgrimage church of Mary. It is the burial place of the Echter von Mespelbrunn family.
There are three churches to admire: an early work by Tilman Riemenschneider's Lamentation Group (around 1490),
the crucifixion group, a masterpiece by the Mainz sculptor Hans Backoffen (around 1519),
Two "Real Epitaphs" by Erhard Barg (1583),
A modern way of the cross from 1967 by the Aschaffenburg artist Siegfried Rischar
For small change you can also listen to an audio file in the church
May 28, 2020
According to legend, the origins of the Hessenthal pilgrimage are suspected in the 13th century or earlier. In 1293 a church in Hesilndal is mentioned for the first time, but from the time of its construction nothing has been preserved. Today's complex offers three parts, consisting of
the late gothic chapel (Real-Tomb),
the smaller Chapel of Mercy in comparable style with the Marien-Bladenbild as well
an attachment of Hans skull from 1954, which contains the group of sculptures attributed to Tilman Riemenschneider.
After a dating in the choir vault capstone, the late Gothic pilgrimage chapel was built in 1439. On the north side of the chapel, the mercy chapel was added, connected by a defensive wall, 1454 (dating in the door jamb).
Both chapels were extended by their longhouses in the 17th century. On the mountain side there was a retaining wall with another chapel (the so-called high cross).
Similar to Kälberau, the original pilgrimage church had become too small after the Second World War in view of the large number of pilgrims coming to war. Again, the Würzburg master builder Hans skull was commissioned with a new church. For this purpose, a part of the nave of the old pilgrimage chapel was broken off and the high cross demolished.
Renovations took place in 1968/70, 1978/79 and the 700-year celebration in 1993.
July 23, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!