On the market square of Bad Mergentheim is the so-called Milchlingsbrunnen, a fountain with an octagonal, stone trough and a central fountain with four tubes. The fountain figure is traditionally held for Grand Master Wolfgang Schutzbar known as Milchling, but this has never been proven and is doubted; modern research does not start from an identity. Despite the prevailing misinterpretation, the fountain with its figure is a symbol of the city. According to legend, the fountain was built by the townsfolk in grateful acknowledgment of the man to whom they owe the first water pipe. The original fountain was completed by 1548 at the latest and stood outside the market axis in front of the southern corner building at Burgstrasse-Marktplatz 7. Today's fountain was provided with a restored figure and a new basin in 1926 on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the healing springs and the recognition of the city as a spa in a different place. The fountain statue was restored in 2004. In any case, the shield on which the free-standing figure is supported bears the Grand Master's coat of arms of Wolfgang Schutzbar known as Milchling.
September 25, 2022
... "Market place with "Milchlingsbrunnen", ... in Bad-Mergentheim, Main-Tauber-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg
June 18, 2022
One of many great fountains in Bad Mergentheim
September 25, 2022
The Milchling fountain is located on the market square. The fountain is adorned with a statue of the Grand Master and German Master Wolfgang Schutzbar, known as Milchling, under whose aegis the first water supply from 1546 (!) and the Renaissance town hall from 1564 were built on the south side of the square.
March 9, 2023
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.