Already far away from the city gates, the 65 m high church tower of the parish church of St. John Baptista (13th / 14th century) can be seen. Between the market square and the Hattersdorfer Tor in the northern part of the old town is the imposing church. The parish Seßlach belonged probably next to Pfarrweisach, Altenbanz and Ummerstadt to the so-called original parishes. Worth seeing is the neo-Gothic high altar of 1893, as well as the altar of altar (about 1500) on the right side and the altar on the left about 1470. The organ in the Neo-Renaissance style from the year 1890 and the ceiling paintings are also worth seeing.
March 31, 2018
After the destruction of the Thuringian Empire (531), the Grabfeldgau was populated by Franconian peasants. From the east, Slavic settlers also invaded the area of Obermain, fleeing from their Avarian oppressors. As late as the 11th century, many Slavs in Franconia were not yet Christianized. As the parishes of the Diocese of Würzburg u. a. Baunach, Pfarrweisach and Seßlach. The patron saint Salmon, St. John the Baptist, refers as missionary saint on the function of the parish as a base of the Slavic mission. 1007 Bamberg was founded in the Slav area.
July 22, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.