Borbecks castle park is considered as one of the oldest parks of the Rhineland, because the abbess Elisabeth of Manderscheid-Blankenheim had the Fürstinnenbusch mentioned, belonging to the castle Buchenwald already in the 16th century in a forest park. Access to it is granted by a late 17th century wrought-iron gate, originally from Hugenpoet Castle. After it had been only at the main entrance of the castle from 1846, it was given its present location at the park entrance in the 1940s. In the upper part of the gate, the coat of arms of Essen was taken over. (WIKI)
March 28, 2018
"... The castle park is designed as an English landscape garden and dates from the time when Maria Kunigunde of Saxony was head of the Essen abbey as abbess. At the time, it still had water features, aviaries, a false tomb, an artificial ruin and a small island in a swan pond. The source of the Borbecke can still be reached today via winding paths, which feeds the Grächen and Schloßsteich over a narrow stream ... "
May 17, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!