The Rathscafé, today Deutsches Haus, is a listed building in Bremen on Bremen's market square, Am Markt Nr. 1 and Hakenstraße Nr. 1. It is part of the Denkmalensembles Am Markt Nr. 1 to 21.
At the corner of Bremen's marketplace / Liebfrauenkirchhof and Obernstraße stood in the Middle Ages, an urban wine house, which later received a Renaissance pediment. Still in the 17th century, the building served as a wine warehouse. It then went into private ownership and was rebuilt several times. Around 1900 a laundry business was established here. It was then bought by the city of Bremen and demolished for a new building.
Because of its immediate proximity to the Bremen Town Hall, the construction project was therefore tendered in a nationwide competition. The winner of the architectural competition was the young Bremen architect Rudolf Jacobs. According to his plans, the four-storey building with gable roofs was built from 1909 to 1911 on the corner of Markt / Liebfrauenkirchhof (at that time Kaiser Wilhelm-Platz). Jacobs succeeded in a construction that was highly respected by experts. It is of great urban significance for the market square and for the Opposite Our Lady Church.
The building from the construction era of the turn of the century corresponded with regard to its scale and design of the homeland architecture and the reform architecture. The gabled three-groups of houses, as a "document of old-bred art and culture", are furnished with original items from salvages, collections and acquisitions such as the outer stone decorations, the 18th century Utluchten and the portals and inside the two floorboards of the 18th century.
The corner house, which was badly damaged during the Second World War, was rebuilt almost faithfully in 1950/51 according to the plans of the architect Herbert Anker of the company Paul Kossel. The former Rathscafé bears the name Deutsches Haus after the reconstruction. Sandstone reliefs deal with destruction and reconstruction. The interior was changed more in 1956. The replica of a hallway from Stövesandt's house on Geeren was preserved in the corner building on Hakenstrasse using original staircases, doors and parapet panels with acanthus carvings around 1740.Since 2007, the building has been owned by the Körber Foundation. Beck's is currently on the market in the restaurant.
February 21, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!