In 1690, a wooden calvary chapel was built in place of today's “Berghaus”. Inside the chapel there was a small holy grave, in front of the chapel 3 wooden crosses were placed. The weather affected the wooden chapel so much that after 80 years a new building was considered. After a long search, the current location was chosen and the chapel was rebuilt.
In 1779 the new church was consecrated with a mass.
In 1785 the church received a small bell, a few years later a second bell and in 1813 a small organ. Over 300 steps lead up to the Kalvarienbergkirche, the wooden steps were replaced by stone steps in 1822. In 1827 the Calvary was made accessible.
January 13, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.