The Temple Neuf (German New Church) is a five-nave Lutheran church in Strasbourg, which rises since 1877 in place of a medieval predecessor building near the Minster. It was built in 1874-1877 in the neo-Romanesque style by the architect Émile Salomon after 1872 plans presented and equipped in the year of its completion with a large organ by Joseph Merklin.
The predecessor of the Temple Neufs was the former Dominican church, which is the second longest Gothic church building in the city, after the cathedral with its 85 meters. Since the Reformation, it served as a Protestant church (John Calvin had preached at this church and held church services), the separate choir and adjacent monastery since the French Revolution as a city library and archive. There, among other things, the valuable collection of medieval manuscripts (including the Hortus Deliciarum) was kept, which was destroyed during the German-French War by Prussian artillery fire. After demolition of the ruin a competition for new construction was already tendered in 1871, in which also Gottfried Semper participated.
December 29, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!