The Red Tower, which stands on a mountain slope, is one of the oldest buildings in Kulmbach and dates back to around 1300. The five-storey tower measures 27 meters to the top of the curved tower hood and was originally part of the Kulmbach city fortifications. The town piper's apartment was on the upper floor, and from here he could see the entire city and was therefore also responsible for alerting people in the event of a fire. In the sixties the tower served as an apartment. Later, the staircases and half-timbering were restored. In 2016 the tower was completely renovated and got its historical appearance again, namely the reddish color of the sandstone from a lime sludge.
September 17, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!