Built between 1905 and 1907 during the third phase of the Speicherstadt (1899-1912), the four-storey building is one of the most famous landmarks and oldest buildings in the historic warehouse complex.
Originally the moated castle was used as a shelter and workshop for the dockers, who carried out the maintenance and repair of the hydraulic storage winches. They were called Windenwächter or Windenwächter and had - in addition to other technical personnel - the privilege to live in the Speicherstadt.
The winches were an important component of the storage buildings: there were - and still are today - no freight elevators. All goods were drawn with winches on the outside to the facades to or from the storage floors of the store.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!