On December 19, 1898, the railway line from Kleinschmalkalden to Brotterode was opened.
From April 1, 1949, the Prussian State Railroad, later the Deutsche Reichsbahn, had the right of disposal.
The passenger trains ran from Schmalkalden to Brotterode. On December 14, 1964, the Auwallenburg– Brotterode section was shut down and dismantled. Ore was loaded in Auwallenberg. The passenger transport Pappenheim - Auwallenburg was operated in the rail replacement service as early as 1965; it officially ended on March 17, 1968. In 1986 the tracks to Brotterode were re-laid to connect a coal-fired power station in Brotterode. In the course of the change in the GDR, the power plant was shut down in 1990. Since 1990 there have been special trains every year to the Auwallenburg loading station. Attempts by a private railway company to set up regular passenger traffic on the Schmalkalden route to the Auwallenburg loading station in 1996 failed.
November 8, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!