Road Cycling Highlight
After the already existing fortifications of the 13th century were destroyed around 1301 with the old castle, was built in a renewed approach a city fortification. Whether the two gates of the perimeter wall were built at the same time as this or first, is not known. At least under the Prince Bishops Walram of Jülich († 1349) and his successor William of Gennep († 1362), who completed the perimeter wall, they must have existed. The first mention of the Herriger Tor took place in 1371 after the Bonn Gate in 1357.
September 20, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!