The Trinity Chapel stands on the former abbey area of the imperial immediate Cistercian abbey Waldsassen and was incorporated. The oldest predecessor building was built under Abbot Daniel in the second half of the 12th century, to recover a trinity picture, which was attached to a tree by a lay brother and was soon regarded as miraculous.
The Hussite Wars, the Landshut War of Succession, the Reformation - Secularization of the monastery Waldsassen between 1571 and 1669 - and the Thirty Years' War brought destruction and decay and multiple restoration of the chapel. Even before the recatholization, a new modest chapel was built in the 1640s after a heal. After the restoration of the abbey, the abbey building - also run by Georg Dientzenhofer - was built, parallel to the new building, with the original symbol of the Holy Trinity. Dientzenhofer died in 1689, shortly before the completion of the construction. The solemn consecration took place in 1711 by the Regensburg Auxiliary Bishop Albert Ernst von Wartenberg.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!