The Koppelpoort, part of the second city wall (1380-1451), was completed in 1427. It is a combined land and water gate, where water flows from the city into the Eem.The Koppelpoort was first attacked during the siege of 1427. Amersfoort women threw boiling beer down from the walls and the attack was repelled. In front of the main gate was a front gate between 1645 and 1778, which may have been the design of the Amersfoort master builder Jacob van Campen. On the inside of the gate, in spaces under the closed arches, the Bag Carriers Guild resided. When all defenses were demolished around 1840, the Koppelpoort was also in danger of disappearing. But the gate was spared and was restored in 1886. More than a hundred years later, 1996-1998, the gate was again restored, while special wall plants have been preserved. Amersfoort won the Europa Nostra Award, an important restoration prize.
April 19, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!