The fountain on Neustädter Markt, donated in 1912 by the Privy Councilor Max Leeser and designed by the Viennese sculptor Ferdinand Seeboeck, was unveiled on 26.7.1913. The fountain symbolizes the old Hildesheim myth of the "witches as cats".
The fountain basin and the column are carved out of a block of dolomitic limestone of 42 cbm volume and weighing 10,200 kg. The 1.80 m high bronze figure of the night watchman with spear and lantern gave the well a total height of 6 meters.
The fountain stands on the site of an earlier fountain (Kunstbrunnen), whose square was actually chosen for the construction of a planned by the citizenship Wilhelm Raabe fountain.
The metal parts of the fountain were a victim of the material needs of the Second World War.
In 1976 he was restored to its original condition by the Rotary Club Hildesheim.
August 29, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.