"The unfinished museum
So the work began in 1912 under the direction of his childhood friend Ludwig Hoffmann, but they dragged on until 1930 and ultimately remained unfinished. Planned were beyond the existing three-wing system: a colonnade between the side wings of the Kupfergraben, a single-storey extension of the Neues Museum along the water (also currently in the planning for the restoration of the Neues Museum), an entrance hall (today's glass case dates from 1982) and a Connecting section to the Bode Museum, which is cut off from the rest of the island by the S-Bahn line. In addition, the area was to be reorganized in relation to the main front urban planning. Colossal, i. Doric pilasters, which cover both floors, divide the side wings, while semi-columns carry the conspicuously steep gables on the front sides. Hoffmann transformed Messel's heavy "Staatsbaroque" into neo-classical forms, which lead to the architectural language of the New and Old Museums. Due to the windowless erratic high central structure, but also due to the flat side wings of the complex is enormously massive. "Source & more info: berlin.de/sehenswuerdigkeiten/3561144-3558930-bode-museum.html
February 20, 2018
"The Bode Museum is part of the Museum Island and is a World Heritage Site, which houses the Sculpture Collection, the Museum of Byzantine Art and the Coin Cabinet.
21 years had passed since the opening of the National Gallery in 1876, when the next foundation stone was laid on the Museum Island. It had already been in 1882 an architectural competition, the results of which, however, were felt to be inadequate. Finally, Ernst Ihne was commissioned to build the Kaiser Friedrich Museum, today's Bode Museum.Architecture of the Bode Museum
Majestically, the Neo-Baroque building is reflected in the waters of the spreader arms converging here. Its dome, under which there is a Hall of Fame in the interior, sets an urban accent at this elevated spot. At the rounded top is the entrance. To achieve this, the two bridges had to be built. Inside, the three-winged complex turns out to be a multipart complex with a total of five atriums. The Bode Museum was completely refurbished until 2005.Pergamon Museum on the Museum Island
As the last building of the Museum Island, the Pergamon Museum was built in 1912-30. Due to the rapidly expanding collection of antiquities, it had to occupy the entire space between the New Museum, the National Gallery and the S-Bahn line and required high skylights. The plans came from Alfred Messel, who had become famous for his department store architecture (Wertheim at Leipziger Platz and at Rosenthaler Strasse, some of them still preserved), but died before construction began. "Source & further information: berlin.de .com / attractions / 3561144-3558930-bode museum.html
February 20, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!