In the 16th century, Emperor Charles V expanded the medieval city defenses of this city. Among other things, four stone bulwarks were built around 1550 on the defensive canal (the Stadsbuitengracht), including Sterrenburg.Today Sterrenburg is part of Zochers Singelplantsoen. The remaining parts of Sterrenburg are a national monument. What is special is that the name Sterrenburg of this former stronghold is used as a street name: only the house has its address here. Artist Hans van Dokkum lived in this house between 1955 and 1995. Van Dokkum used Sterrenburg several times in his works, other artists have also depicted the stronghold over the centuries. The house has been restored since 1996.(nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterrenburg_%28Utrecht%29)
December 22, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.