(formerly Harna, Whale Harne)
Walhorn is a rural village, grown together with mother nature; everything invites you to leisurely hikes! Already mentioned in 888 in a document from Lothar II to the cathedral church in Aachen, "Harna" became a royal court until it was donated to the Aachen Marienstift in 1072 by Emperor Heinrich IV.
From the 12th century until 1815 Walhorn was a high bench and belonged to the Duchy of Limburg. On the Johberg, the criminals convicted by the lay judge were executed on the gallows. From 1803 Walhorn made part of the canton Eupen. In 1815 it was annexed by Prussia and in 1920 it was incorporated into Belgium.
From the 10th to the 18th century Walhorn was "mother parish" with a parish church. The first place of worship was z. Currently Charlemagne has a chapel in Harne (W).
Around 1100 it was replaced by a Romanesque church (see substructure in front of church tower, shooting shafts, baptismal font); 14th century = Gothic K. (choir); 18th century Baroque style, chapels: Brigida (Merols), Johannes (Astenet), Katha (old people's home), Katharina von Siena (Astenet), Quirinus (Rabotrath) Sorrowful Mother (Lindchen), Banneux (Johberg). Way of the Cross (Johberg), crosses, tombstones, memorials, manors and castles: Crapoel, Thor Castle, Mützhof, l 'Himmelsplatz, Kirchbusch, Carnol, etc. (trois-frontières.be)
November 21, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.