Bike Touring Highlight
The laying of the cornerstone of the Marienkirche probably took place around the year 1250. However, the church was finished only 200 years later with the completion of the tower. The oldest part (around 1250) is likely to be the early Gothic choir with ribbed vaulting. The church was first mentioned in records in 1333 and in 1340 for the first time under the name of St. Mary's Church. While the outer shell was hardly changed, there were several changes inside the church. The largest took place with the introduction of the Reformation in Pomerania around 1535. The formerly sumptuous furnishing of the rich port city of Barth was adapted to the new views with simple furnishings. In the year 1820/21, the church was renovated in the style of the Enlightenment and built an organ of the Berlin company Buchholz instead of a multiple rebuilt instrument from 1597.The last comprehensive transformation took place in the years 1857-1863 at the instigation of Frederick William IV of Prussia. The King had noticed the St. Mary's Church in Barth during one of his visits to the province of Pomerania, which belonged to the Kingdom of Prussia since 1815. Their white interior painting and sober interiors did not please the romantic. He commissioned the Schinkel student Friedrich August Stüler with the redesign of the interior in the style of neo-Gothic.So the church got an altar with canopy. The pulpit and the galleries were renewed or reinstalled, the painting and the ornamental design renewed. The organ prospectus was completely renewed (in the neo-gothic instead of classical style); the organ itself was not changed. The pulpit received a new cover in the form of a richly structured tower. These were manufactured by Barther Tischleraltmann Schlie. In the sanctuary the images of Karl Gottfried Pfannschmidt with the depiction of the twelve apostles, the birth and ascension of Christ have since been seen.Between 1992 and 1996 was the last renovation of the church. Thus, the entire roof including the tower was re-covered, the roof truss and roof ridge were redeveloped. The masonry of the tower and church building has been renovated and five windows rebuilt and glazed. The church received a new ringing, the organ and the northern side tower (2005) were restored.Source:
November 19, 2017
The St. Marien Church is one of the typical north German brick buildings. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1250, but the church was not completed until 200 years later.
The church has a viewing platform that is about 55 meters high. Once you have climbed the 180 steps, the visitor has a great all-round view of Barth and the fascinating surrounding lagoon landscape. When the view is clear, you can even see as far as Stralsund with its high church towers and as far as Dornbusch on the island of Hiddensee.
May 18, 2021
The high tower of the large brick church dominates together with the Dammtor the low, narrow streets of the old city center.
June 29, 2019
A typical North German, very simple church, beautiful to look at
February 24, 2023
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.