Castle Caspersbroich is located in the Ittertal castle in Solingen district Ohligs. To the possession of the castle gentlemen also belonged to the dependent Kotten in Buschenhaus, Hagscheid, Sombers, Hülsberg and Zwengenberg. Until 1808 Caspersbroich belonged to the parish forest.
Around the year 1220, a lord of Count Engelbert settled the saint on the Itter, made the swamps there agricultural and built a manor house. In 1438 Junker Caspar von Pertsdorf bought the estate and converted it into a knight's seat. From 1460 to 1480 Knight Pertsdorf stood before the Office Solingen.
By marriage of the heiress Elisabeth von Pertsdorf Caspersbroich reached around 1518 to the Lords of Bawyr, who sold the house in 1676 to Bernhard Everhard of the Bottlenberg. In 1772, the family of Romberg came by marriage in the possession of the castle, but only a few years later Clemens Conrad Franz von Romberg had to sell the house in 1809 again. In 1810 it came into civil possession and was acquired by its previous tenant Johann Adolf Holthausen.
In the 1860s, the Bergisch-Märkische Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft acquired the facility, which had a railroad embankment built directly in front of the castle for the Gruiten-Deutz railway line. Subsequently, Caspersbroich Castle belonged to various entrepreneurs and industrialists from the Bergischen.
In 1964, the Düsseldorf-based actor Claus Gorges acquired the now run-down property and refurbished it by converting it into condominiums. From 1975 to 1984, the banker Alfred Herrhausen lived on the castle grounds
Unfortunately, you can not see much of the castle from the road.Source: Wikipedia.de
November 12, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!