The walk through Gruiten village on a spring day is like a journey through time. There, kids are going crazy in the gardens, where people close behind tiny doors and disappear into half-timbered houses from centuries past. Some city dwellers might think that one last remnant of carefree village life can be seen here.
Signs are attached to the vast majority of houses, retelling the history of the buildings. For example, we pass the 1750-built Doctor's House, built by the medical practitioner Jacob Lauternbach at the time.
May 20, 2019
The Gruiten-Dorf district with its well-preserved half-timbered houses is the largest intact historical settlement on Haan's urban area. The Romanesque old church tower has been preserved in the cemetery.
The oldest house is the "Haus am Quall", from which at least one wing of the building can be dated back to the 14th century. It was originally part of a yard on the Quall. It was reconstructed and rebuilt in 1978-1980 and today used for celebrations, educational and informational events
The first written mention Gruitens dates from the 11th century.
August 11, 2018
Beautiful, the historic city center! Very well maintained old half-timbered houses and also an optimal starting point for beautiful walks along the Düssel. The small cozy village cafe looked very inviting, but was unfortunately overcrowded on the holiday. Another reason to come back.
May 1, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.