The Napoleonsbrücke is an arched bridge built between 1846 and 1849 over the Wupper in Müngsten between the cities of Solingen and Remscheid at the mouth of the Morsbach. It is placed under protection as an architectural monument.
At the beginning of the 19th century, a road connection between the two prospering industrial cities of Remscheid and Solingen, today's federal road 229, was increasingly lacking. Planning began in 1816 and was completed ten years later. While Remscheid had already brought the road up to the Wupper near Müngsten by 1823, the expansion on the Solingen side was delayed due to disputes until 1845.
A bridge was now required to cross the Wupper. This was built as a wooden bridge in 1819, but was destroyed again by a flood in 1840. A little south of the old bridge location, the construction of the stone Napoleon Bridge began in 1846, which according to some information should have been completed around 1847. However, a stone in the building notes the year 1849 as the date of completion. The quarry stones were extracted from a nearby quarry near Gockelshammer.
Traffic over the bridge was opened in 1848 and a stagecoach line was set up in the same year. On the bridge, in the former home of the Halbach family of manufacturers, there was a popular excursion restaurant and until the 1960s the restaurant "Haus Müngsten".
The bridge served through traffic until 1963, when it was replaced by a modern prestressed concrete girder bridge built next to it in the course of the expansion of federal road 229 and the new construction of state road 74. From then on it was used exclusively for pedestrians, mostly hikers as a Wupper crossing. For the opening of the Müngsten Bridge Park, the bridge was completely renovated in 2006 and 2007 as part of the Regionale 2006 in two construction phases.
March 28, 2018
The Müngsten pavilion is built in a neo-Gothic style and has a basic heptagonal shape. It was built in 1901. In 1905 Diederichs had this ceiling painted as well, but none of this is left. The roof is currently covered with sheet metal. The cement stucco imitates a natural stone ashlar on the outer walls up to the reveals of the pointed arches. The columns are provided with a neck ring and gothic bud capitals. This is followed by a narrow bead profile, a wide, smooth plastered strip and the profiled eaves cornice. The curved hood is covered with embossed copper sheets and crowned with a weather vane.
The interior is spanned by a dome made in Rabitz construction. Waist-high wrought iron railings are located between the columns and the pointed arch openings are connected by ornate iron anchors.
In the presentation year of the Regionale 2006, the Diederich stamp was extensively renovated. The Diederich stamp was entered on the list of monuments of the city of Remscheid on November 11, 1987.
The pavilion can be easily reached from the Napoleon Bridge. From it there is a beautiful view of the Müngsten bridge.
August 13, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!