Bike Touring Highlight
Surrounded by a moat, the castle was built on the remains of a castle first mentioned in 1287. It served to control the nearby Elbe and secured a customs office on the river. The oldest part of the palace complex is the round tower from the period around 1500, of which today only the tower stump is preserved. The north wing of the castle was built by Duke Ernst II of Brunswick-Lüneburg in 1600 in the half-timbered style. The west wing, which now houses showrooms, was built around 1743 in Baroque style. From the 16th century, the plant was the seat of the bailiff of Bleckede. The hometown author Auguste von der Decken was born here in 1827. From 1885 to 1932 the Elbschloss was the administrative seat of the district of Bleckede. Today, weddings take place in the former courtroom.Since 2000, the Information Center for the Lower Elbe Biosphere Reserve in Lower Saxony and the local tourist information office have their headquarters in the castle. The information center presents a 1,000 m² exhibition on the Elbtalaue in the castle on three floors, including an Elbe fish Aquarium. In 2002, the historic tower stump was extended by an introduced metal construction to the lookout tower, which allows a good view of the Elbtalaue. The environmental workshop offers a variety of environmental education programs for kindergartens, schools and people with disabilities.Source:
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbschloss_BleckedeThe biosphere consists of the aquarium, the beaver house and the lookout tower. These part form a unit and can be entered to me a ticket (adults: 7 €).
You learn a lot about the habitat of the Elbe with its fish, the birds and the beaver. Then you reward yourself with a panoramic view from the observation tower.Link: biosphaerium.de
May 24, 2017
After the founding of the "Löwenstat" by Duke Wilhelm von Lüneburg in 1209, a water castle was built around 1270, of which the tower and ditches first mentioned in 1287 are largely preserved. After pledging to the city of Lüneburg for centuries, in 1561 the castle returned to the Welfische hand. In 1600 Duke Ernst zu Brunswick and Lüneburg built the north wing with decorative wood carving. In 1743, the west wing was rebuilt. In 1827, the Hanoverian writer Auguste von der Elbe saw the light of day. Until 1885, the castle was the seat of the bailiff for the Office Bleckede, then the management of the district Bleckede, and finally until 1974 of the district court. Worth seeing is the courtroom in the north wing. Here was from 1948 to 1983, the Otto Meissner Verlag housed in the west wing from 1976 to 1996, the branch of the folk high school Barendorf. After extensive restoration, the ElbSchloss, today's Biosphaerium Elbtalaue, opened in 2002 as an information center for the biosphere reserve "Niedersächsische Elbtalaue".
May 15, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!