The Marientor is one of the five city gates that should protect the city of Naumburg from attack by enemies, being the only one that has survived the time.
After the construction of the old Marientores between 1340 and 1380, the city gate began to be extended from 1455 onwards.
The gate then consisted of two gatehouses which are connected by a curved Fanghof and is surrounded by a barbican (a defensive gate of a late medieval or renaissance-time castle or city wall defense).
The barbican had on the outer wall a narrow bastion which at this time to the courtyard had no wall. This construction method is to be regarded in central Germany today only completely at the Marientor.
Source and further information: stadt-naumburg.de/Sehen/NMarientor.html
August 11, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!