The Ludwigsbrücke / Löwenbrücke is the second oldest Würzburg bridge (built 1891 - 94) over the Main. The bridge has five stone vaults and is regularly frequented by trams 3, 5 and 8 in the direction of the Steinbach valley. One of the lions still shows a bullet hole from the air raid in March 1945.
March 28, 2019
The Ludwigsbrücke is a stone arch bridge with a total length of 205 meters.  It consists of five arches, each with a span of 36 meters,  with the three central arches above the water. The arches are supported by four pillars, the two inner pillars are in the Main. The headroom on the river is 5.75 meters.
Unlike the Peace Bridge, which was several years older, the Ludwigsbrücke was not widened over time, so that car and tram traffic are still routed through a common route.
May 2, 2020
The Ludwigsbrücke is located at Main kilometer 253.06 , south of the Old Main Bridge and north of the Sebastian Kneipp footbridge. It connects the Nikolausberg district on the left bank of the river with the old town on the right of the Main and Sanderau. The next bridges opened for motor traffic are the Friedensbrücke in the north and the Konrad-Adenauer-Brücke in the south.
May 2, 2020
The plans for the after Ludwig III. named bridge go back to the year 1882, with the project planning was started in April 1885. The actual, loan-financed  construction began in 1891 and the inauguration of the bridge completed in 1894  took place on August 25, 1895.  Due to the bad weather that day, the bridge was inaugurated three weeks later.  The four bronze lion statues on the two driveways come from the ore foundry Ferdinand von Miller  and each weigh about 1.4 tons. 
May 2, 2020
The plans for the after Ludwig III. named bridge go back to the year 1882, with the project planning was started in April 1885. The actual construction, financed from bonds  began in 1891 and the inauguration of the bridge, which was completed in 1894  took place on August 25, 1895.  Due to the bad weather that day, the bridge was inaugurated three weeks later.  The four bronze lion statues on the two driveways come from the Ferdinand von Miller ore foundry  and each weigh about 1.4 tons. 
During the Second World War, Ludwigsbrücke was severely damaged in a low-flying attack on the evening of February 4, 1945.  On April 2, 1945 at around 11:30 a.m., it was finally blown up by German troops as the second of the three Main bridges that existed at that time in the area of Würzburg's old town in order to prevent the Americans from taking the city. Nevertheless, American soldiers were able to cross over to the right bank of the Main on the following day and erect a bridgehead there. The destroyed middle bridge arch was makeshiftly repaired with a Bailey Bridge  to enable the advancing US troops to cross the river. 
The temporary footbridge resting on the bridge was dismantled in 1947 after the gap in the destroyed arch had been closed with a steel structure.   From 1949 the Ludwigsbrücke was restored true to the original.  Tram traffic over the bridge was resumed on September 20, 1949. 
May 2, 2020
The highlight are the 4 lion statues at the beginning and end of the bridge, including a view of the fortress on the Main. We were here, but then we have to cross the pedestrian bridge towards the city center. It is even more beautiful and much more comfortable!
January 20, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!