It was probably built around 1230 by Cistercians - monks of Lehnin Monastery. Documented evidence that the monastery Lehnin by barter in 1242, the village Schönerlinde in Niederbarnim and associated watermill received as property. During this time, the barnimer goods of the monastery was built on the busy main road on the Feldmark between Schönerlinde and Buchhorst the farmyard of the monastery, which also included the Mönchmühle. From the Schönerlinder Hof the Cistercians administered the monastery villages Schönerlinde, Basdorf, Klosterfelde and Wandlitz.
For about 250 years, the monk mill was managed by the Cistercian monks. They finally sold the mill in 1517 (as had the farmyard before), since then private entrepreneurs have been running the mill. The time of the monks was over, but the name has remained (Reinhardt Wittig). In 1948, the mill becomes a public property after the expropriation and works as a VEB Mönchmühle until spring 1973. Then the mill operation is finally ended, at a time when the old mill technology in Germany has long since served its day and modern, more efficient mills begin to dominate the picture. After more than 780 years of operation, the wheels have stood still since then.
April 27, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.