Where the Marienkapelle has been located for almost 700 years, was formerly the Jewish quarter. In 1349, the Jewish community of Würzburg was exterminated in a pogrom, the synagogue burned down. A few years later, the gothic church was built from donations from the citizens.
June 14, 2018
The construction of the Marienkapelle was begun in 1377 and completed with the tower built around 1480. Originally, a chapel was built at this point for atonement by the citizens. Thus, the building remained without parish rights and is entitled "Chapel". Also the "Kramläden", which exist today, were already created in 1437.
In the arc fields of the portals one finds rich plastic Bauzier. Particularly noteworthy here are the figures Adam and Eve, which were made by sculptor Tilman Riemenschneider. The originals can be visited today in the Mainfränkisches Museum, they were replaced in 1975 by copies.
After the fire in 1945, during which the entire roof truss and the wooden interior were burned, the Marienkapelle was completely refurbished. On the altars there are four panel paintings from 1514.
Significant here is the silver Madonna above the altar of the northern aisle, created in 1680 by Johann Kilian. In the aisles there are numerous tombs Frankish knights and Würzburg citizens, including the tomb of Konrad von Schaumberg († 1499) by Riemenschneider. At the market portal, a bronze commemorative plaque points to the burial place of the great Baroque architect Balthasar Neumann (1687 - 1753).
February 5, 2017
The Marienkapelle is a Roman Catholic church located at the Unterer Markt (market square) of the town of Würzburg, Bavaria. It was built in the Gothic style in the 14th century. Despite its large size, it is a chapel by status, as it does not have a parish. Today it is administered by the united parishes of the Würzburg Cathedral and the Kollegiatstift Neumünster (de).
The chapel was heavily damaged by the Bombing of Würzburg in World War II and its interior was destroyed by flames. It was rebuilt in the 1950s and re-consecrated in 1962.
Its two best known works of art, the sculptures of Adam and Eve by Tilman Riemenschneider, are today located in the Mainfränkisches Museum and have been replaced in-situ by copies. The chapel is also the place of burial of noted Baroque architect Balthasar Neumann.
October 11, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.