The upper castle is the older of the two castles in Manderscheid.
Originally it was in Luxembourg possession and Oberburg 1147 went to the archbishopric of Trier.
After that she remained in the possession of the Trier until the dissolution of the state and its destruction by the French (1673).
Today, the restored castle forms an impressive backdrop for the castle festival with chivalrous games that takes place every year on the last weekend in August.
September 23, 2019
The upper castle of Manderscheid, also called Obermanderscheid, is the smaller and poorer preserved castle of the Manderscheider castle group. For centuries it belonged to the archdiocese of Trier, which was constantly in conflict with the lords of Manderscheid, who lived at the castle Niedermanderscheid. To this day, some outer walls and the mighty keep have been preserved, which is a rarity with its diamond-shaped floor plan. A visit in connection with the castle Niedermanderscheid is worthwhile!
November 15, 2019
"The upper castle has been enthroned above the Liesertal for more than a thousand years. It is the older of the two Manderscheid castles. The castle was first mentioned in a document in 973. It is enthroned on a mountain peak that was removed for construction, near today's outskirts. It owned , as can still be seen from the ruins today, an almost triangular outer wall and a five-story keep that has since been made accessible again.
The last resident of the upper castle was the "Burggretchen", as Margarethe Zirbes was called. She left the castle in the second half of the 19th century. After that the castle stood empty. In 1921, the municipality of Manderscheid bought the upper castle for a purchase price of 1800 marks at the time. The castle association looks back on an eventful past of the upper castle.
The upper castle is freely accessible and the keep is open."
March 8, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!