The cathedral to Lübeck is an important testimony of the early brick building in northern Germany. 1173 was the laying of the cornerstone by Henry the Lion. The Romanesque cathedral, consecrated in 1247, which had received the porch (paradise) on the northern transept around 1254/59, was extended by a Gothic choir between 1266 and 1341, then rebuilt to the hall church. In 1942 he partially burned out - the reconstruction was initiated in 1947.
April 2, 2019
"Henry the Lion plays an important role in the history of the cathedral, he became a generous patron of the city and its trade in the Baltic Sea Region." One year after the founding of the Hanseatic city, the bishopric was moved to Lübeck and the bishop in the south of the city an area for the Construction of the present cathedral and assigned to the houses of the canons.
After a wooden church was built in the area of today's cathedral and consecrated in 1163, the plans for the large stone church, whose foundation stone was laid in 1173, began. As a replacement for the natural stone, which was not available in this area, you took brick as a building material. The cathedral was consecrated in 1247, patrons are John the Baptist and Nicholas. Shortly thereafter, the dome on the north side was added to the Paradise, a large vestibule, and in 1266 began the great expansion to the east.
On the night of Palm Sunday 1942, the bombing raid burned the Hanseatic city and the three major churches, St. Mary's, St. Peter and the cathedral. Due to the long-lasting reconstruction of the cathedral, especially the choir, it was reminded of the extent of the construction times of the Middle Ages. The reconstruction work began in 1960, the gothic choir was completed in 1977, and in 1982 the Paradise vestibule. However, as a result of the long period of rebuilding, the plan to set up the interior of the church to celebrate the Lutheran service could be established. The cathedral was set up in 1970 as it is today. It is a miracle that so many works of art survived the fire of the cathedral. "Source: luebeck.de/tourismus/sightseeing/sehenswuerdigkeiten/kirchen/dom-zu-luebeck.html
November 25, 2016
"On the square in front of the cathedral, there is a pediment of the famous Braunschweig lion on a high pedestal since 1975. The memorial plaque explains the exact circumstances of its creation:
"In Memory of Henry the Lion, Duke of Bavaria and Saxony, 1129-1195. He established the pioneer of Christianity in our country, Vicelin, as bishop in Oldenburg. He founded the Hanseatic city of Lübeck again in 1159. He raised Lübeck in 1160 under Bishop Gerold to the new seat of the diocese and began in 1173 with the construction of the cathedral. This replica of the monument erected in Brunswick in 1166 was erected in 1975 by the Elfriede Dräger Memorial Foundation. "
December 13, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.