The Nuremberg Castle is the landmark of the city of Nuremberg. It is a double castle and consists of the Kaiserburg and Burggrafenburg.The earliest architectural traces date back to around 1000. After the severe damage in the Second World War, the castle was rebuilt in historical forms. In its historical character as fortification and imperial residence, imperial castle and Hohenzollern castle count, it is one of Europe's most important historical and architectural armaments.In terms of ownership, the castle is composed of three parts.- The remains of the Burggrafenburg with the pentagonal tower are in the middle. The Burggrafenburg was most likely rebuilt in 1192, most of it was destroyed in 1420.
- The Kaiserburg with Sinwell Tower, Deep Well, Double Chapel and Palas expands to the west. The oldest parts date back to 1200, after which the castle was continuously rebuilt and rebuilt.
- Other (rich) urban buildings are in the north and east (such as the former imperial stables of Hans Beheim the Elder and the tower Luginsland).
January 2, 2017
The building is owned by the Bavarian Palace Administration and is primarily used for tourist purposes. Individual buildings are also used as residential, official or museum buildings as well as temporarily for parties and state receptions. One of the largest and most modern youth hostels in Germany is located in the old imperial stables. The house with 355 beds was reopened in spring 2013 after renovation.
September 9, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.