Mountain Biking Highlight (Segment)
The Bismarck tower on the Peterskopf is 30 meters high. It was built from 1901 to 1903. In 1925, the concrete ceiling of the second viewing platform collapsed while a school class was on the tower. From 1992 to 1998 he was renovated.Access to the observation deck of the tower is possible during kiosk opening hours (Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 10am to 6pm).
August 6, 2019
The monument dedicated to the Chancellor Otto von Bismarck was planned by the Drachenfels Club  from 1896 and was built from 1901 to mid-1903 after an architectural competition between 1901 and 1903, based on a design by the Karlsruhe architect Friedrich Kunst. The inauguration was celebrated on July 5, 1903.On May 27, 1925, the concrete floor of the second viewing platform collapsed while a school class from Frankenthal was about to climb the tower. Several children were injured, one died.  In 1928 the relief was renewed, which had been destroyed by French occupation forces after the First World War.  During the Second World War two bombs hit the tower and caused serious damage. The first renovation by the Drachenfels Club took place in 1949. In 1973/1974 further renovation measures were carried out; an accommodation for the tower keeper was also built. The tower was placed under monument protection in 1986 as a “landmark”.
March 28, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!