The foundation stone was laid on July 12, 1030, in the morning at 07:00 clock, by the Salian Emperor Conrad II and on the same day also the foundation stone in the dome to Speyer. The abbey was burned down and on 30 Aug. 1504 incompletely renewed in a feud between the Palatinate and Leiningen in 1554, but from 1574 on it was left to decay. In 1853 the ruin was transferred to Bad Dürkheim. The monastery ruins have enclosing walls of early Romanesque. The monastery was built as a three-aisled pillared basilica and with a double tower facade.
May 9, 2017
Very beautiful, well-preserved monastery ruins near Bad Dürkheim.Limburg Monastery (after the collapse often also Limburg Monastery ruins, once abbey "Zum Heilgen Kreuz" or Limburg an der Haardt Monastery) is a former Benedictine abbey that existed from the 11th century until the Reformation. It is located on the eastern edge of the Palatinate Forest on the boundary of the Rhineland-Palatinate district town of Bad Dürkheim. The complex, built in Romanesque style, only exists as a ruin. It is one of the largest and most important monuments of early Salian architecture.
The Limburg monastery ruins are located in the Palatinate Forest Nature Park, exposed above the south bank of a left Rhine tributary, the Isenach, which breaks through the Haardt, the eastern edge of the Palatinate Forest, to the west of Bad Dürkheim and first enters the hilly country on the German Wine Route, then into the Rhine plain . The facility is located on today's Limburgberg, which is 260.5 m high, to the northeast of the summit a little below at 245 to 250 m altitude.  The Haardtrand - Am Limburgberg nature reserve (area number: NSG-7332-109, World Database on Protected Areas - Haardtrand - Am Limburgberg) extends outside the monastery groundsLimburg can be reached on foot via the Bad Dürkheim districts of Grethen and Hausen, and by car via the Seebach district.
November 29, 2020
The Limburg monastery ruins are enthroned at about 250 meters above the Palatinate Forest, near Bad Dürkheim. The complex once served as a Benedictine monastery and was built in the Romanesque style.
During the non-Corona period, there are guided tours on the facility, as well as concerts from time to time. The altitude is ideal for fantastic pictures of the Palatinate Forest. Weddings are also possible in the ruin.
March 7, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!