The castle ruin Streitburg or ruin Streitberg is the remnant of a high medieval Adelsburg over the village Streitberg at the mouth of the Franconian Switzerland. The exact time of the first development of this place is not known, but at the latest in the 12th century, it was built and used by people. Unfortunately, what was left of the often damaged and rebuilt castle in the 19th century was used as a quarry, so that hardly any of the ruins is left, which is why the battle castle today in the shadow of her big sister, the castle ruins Neideck on the other side Wiesenttal stands.
Admission is free, so it is worth the detour to Streitburg alone for the fantastic view over the Wiesenttal.
June 14, 2017
The main castle was located on a high, on three sides almost perpendicular to the Wiesenttal sloping dolomite rock massif. The north side, endangered by the rising terrain, was once preceded by a strongly fortified outer bailey, which is now completely overbuilt.
Behind the wide moat of the main castle, the gatehouse of 1563/65 with a bastion and a forward turret has been partially preserved. Behind the gate you can still see the remains of the walls of the long stables and the forester's cottage.
The castle path leads to a terraced heel with low-reaching fodder walls on which was built in the 16th century the large main building with its clock tower. The Renaissance building is completely gone. The location of the former stair tower can still be recognized by the rockwork. The stair tower gave access to the top of a high rocky outcrop. To the west, beneath this crest, stood another building whose outer wall had fallen. Two basement vaulted cellars have been preserved, below which there is another basement with a hole prison completely carved out of the rock. The cellar vaults are inaccessible to visitors.
July 3, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!