Bike Touring Highlight
The "Gothic House" in Bad Homburg was built in 1823 on the initiative of the Countess Elisabeth of Hesse-Homburg, a daughter of the British King George III. and thus aunt of the later British Queen Victoria. After a serious accident during the construction work - a worker died - the completion of the building came to a standstill in November 1823. In the middle of the 19th century, the Gothic house finally completed was first used by the landgrave forestry administration. After the war of 1866, during which Hesse-Homburg fell to Prussia, the house became the property of the Prussian kings. At the end of the 19th century, the house began to be used as a tourist restaurant. In the first third of the 20th century, it became a hotel and catering business after modifications.
Further information on the history and current events of the Gothic House:
July 27, 2017
The Gothic House is open in the afternoon. If you want to eat good cake there should do the tour weekdays in the afternoon
Tuesday - Saturday 2pm - 5pm
Sunday and public holidays 10am - 6pm
closed on Mondays
Adults € 2.00
reduced 1.00 Euro
Children up to 14 years free.
bad-homburg.de/microsite/museum-gotisches-haus/museum_service/index.phpSince 1985, the Gothic House has housed the Municipal Historical Museum with its collections on urban and regional history, as well as cultural and art history. Special areas include the Münzkabinett and the famous "Hutmuseum".
October 13, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.