The first iron ores from the Braunjura in the Staffelberg area were discovered in 1650 on the Langen Berg near Uetzing. The ore was mined for 35 years and was first smelted in the specially built episcopal hammer mill in Zeussenhammer in the Lichtenfels forest on Schneybach above Schney - the place is still called Hammer today. At Vierzehnheiligen, the first iron ore mining was documented in 1865, later from 1907 until the beginning of the First World War in 1914 and from 1920 to 1930. In the last period, the "Schöntahl colliery" is also called. It was operated by the Nuremberg trade union "Heinrich".
July 11, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.