Hiking Highlight (Segment)
The Old Kurhaus was demolished in 1905 to 1907, and the architect Friedrich von Thiersch built a new magnificent building in the style of neoclassical with art nouveau motifs for six million gold marks. Kaiser Wilhelm II, who came to visit and sponsor the construction every year in May, called it “the most beautiful spa house in the world” when it opened.
January 20, 2017
The construction of the new Wiesbaden theater as the new royal court theater was largely initiated and promoted by Kaiser Wilhelm II. After a limited architectural competition to which Manfred Semper, a son of the famous Gottfried Semper, Professor Georg Frentzen from Aachen was invited, the Viennese theater architects Ferdinand Fellner d. J. and Hermann Helmer, who built the building in 1892/1894 for 1.8 million gold marks in the neo-baroque style. Role models for the new house were u. a. Theater in Prague, Vienna and Zurich. On October 16, 1894, after only 22 months of construction, the new house was officially opened in the presence of the emperor. At his request, a foyer was added to the east side of the formerly mirror-image theater for 600,000 marks in 1902, which exceeded the splendor of the auditorium. This first expansion was supplemented by a rehearsal stage, the painting room and various workshops on the south side of the colonnades. These areas were built by the then city architect Felix Genzmer from Wiesbaden.
January 20, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.