The St. Jakobskirche in Nuremberg is the starting point of the Middle-Franconian Camino from Nuremberg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. In the vestibule of the church is the only pilgrim center in Bavaria. It is open on Wednesdays from 2pm to 6pm and on Fridays from 11am to 6pm and on Saturdays from 9am to 12pm. The church itself is about 950 years old and is a pilgrimage church on the way to Santiago de Compostela to the tomb of the Apostle James. In the church you will find the oldest surviving high altar of Nuremberg around 1370 and works of art from the school of Veit Stoß and Michael Wohlgemut, the teacher Albrecht Dürer.
September 16, 2019
The church was handed over to the Teutonic Knights on 20 February 1209 as a small Romanesque chapel by Emperor Otto IV. It was demolished about 80 years later and demolition material was used for a new construction erected on the old Chorfundament. The Teutonic Order founded the St. Elisabeth Hospital opposite the church. By King Frederick II, the Order was equipped with more and more possessions. In 1304 the old royal court and the surrounding terrain were added. In the Reformation the St. Jacob's Church became one of the Protestant city churches. In 1531 a preaching office was created, but the church remained in the possession of the Catholic Teutonic Order.
Holy Anna herselfIn 1632, during the Thirty Years' War, King Gustav Adolf expropriated the Teutonic Order, surrendered the Jakobskirche to the city of Nuremberg and had an extensive renovation carried out. In 1648 it was returned to the Teutonic Order by the provisions of the Peace of Westphalia. As part of the secularization of the Deutschordenshaus 1806 fell with all buildings to the Kingdom of Bavaria.In 1810, St. Jakob became the third Protestant parish church.(Https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jakob_(N%C3%BCrnberg))
September 17, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.